Friday, September 7, 2007

The Torley Torus

I probably shouldn't be drafting this right now. I should be asleep.

But here I am anyway, as it's been a day or two since I put the Torley Torus on display in the atelier. What, you may ask, is a Torley Torus? It's a hat of sorts, named (naturally) for my favorite Linden, and based on a previous scripted chapeau that I designed which I was told might be appreciated by that same Linden.

Making odd headgear is also something of an homage to my great-great-grandmother. Her millinery skills were such that she managed to save herself from becoming a bit player in
Big Love: 1850s-style, back in the days when Utah considered itself a sovereign nation, and polygamy was the big new shiny-of-the-day.

In the bargain, she also made me possible, since dodging the dodgy, horn
dog doctor who wanted her as his fourth or fifth wife, also allowed her to carry through with her previous engagement to he-who-would-become my great-great-grandfather.

Which leads me to ask? Why is polygamy (or polyandry for that matter) not an option in the Linden Nation? Maybe that's a good thing, but I'm sure there are those who feel otherwise. And I also wouldn't exist if it hadn't been for some of them.

No wonder the hat keeps twisting.

P.S.: Interestingly enough, I just discovered that, much like Second Life, the Torley Torus has at least one devious bug. After letting it run uninterrupted for several days, the torus part of the hat -- the bit that keeps moving -- disappeared. I have some theories for why it vanished, having to do with randomly assigning it an impossible set of descriptive parameters, but it will take some digging to find a method to revise the script in such a way that future escapes from second reality are rendered, if not impossible, at least less a bit less likely. In the meanwhile, anyone who purchases the hat can simply rez a new copy from her private stash and go on as though nothing happened. If you wear the hat only for special occasions, you may never encounter the bug. I will be adding an update script to the hat itself, so that when fixes are found you will get the new and (hopefully) improved version. However, I'm guessing that the mutations and transformations of the revised hat may be slightly different from the present version, so purists may want to hold onto copies of all of their updated headgear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome comments, especially the funny kind.