Sunday, June 8, 2008

What Fresh SLell® Is This?

I find myself struggling again with the entirely rational impulse to pull the plug on my time spent in Second Life. Why? Well, one reason jumps to mind. And it's fairly pathetic, so if you read this you know I was a mess when I pressed that "Publish Now" button.

The key problem is there is just too damned much talent and creativity in the world right now. Partly it's just simple math. Too many people in general = Too many creative people.

You say, "What's the problem? This sounds like a good thing! Lighten up, dude!"

Here's the problem. More creative people, more access to outlets, even crappy badly programmed, DRM-crippled outlets like SecondLife® mean there's less and less chance of ever breaking even, much less make anything like "a living" from one's creative output. There are no customers. Or at least scarcely enough customers to make it a practical choice, at least not one that can be explained to most parents, spouses or other flesh-and-blood entities in need of cash-like stuff for luxuries like rent and groceries and bandwidth.

Digital serfdom is here with a vengeance? More below the fold?

If I had more to say, this is where I'd be saying it.

And don't tell me this isn't an original thought. I know that already. Haven't seen an original thought anywhere since the early Greeks, or maybe some of the wackier gnostic cults that constellated around the Christians who didn't yet know they were Christians. So save it.

Instead, say something mean or sarcastic, like: "You're not creative, you no-talent hack." Then I can list you in my suicide note. Yum yum.

Better yet, post a video reply somewhere that earns you millions and makes me look a fool. Well, a bigger fool than is already so nakedly apparent to those who know and are frustrated or disappointed with me for a wasted lifetime.

Hmmn. Gotta massage the tone of those last few 'graphs.

Hell is a world without kindly editors or bloodsucking agents who nonetheless help their hopeless charges because there's a percentage in it for them.

/me wonders whether it's time to re-read Marx and Bakunin and other 19th century fun guys? Cold comfort reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome comments, especially the funny kind.