Sunday, May 16, 2010

This is a test - YouTube's Unlisted Videos...

Can they or can't they be embedded? This post is an attempt to test whether such videos can be embedded.



This second video is embedded from a different channel, one that is no longer tied into the Google account that handles this blog. I'm starting to suspect that problems with embedding may be related to the settings that the owner might have chosen. After all, the YouTube EDIT pages include separate modules for Privacy (where the Unlisted option appears) and another section for "Embedding."


I may leave this at that, unless something else comes up to contradict my first impressions.

YouTube users should probably still exercise caution when embedding Unlisted videos, since they're likely to become more visible if the embedding happens on any site or blog (unlike this one) where traffic is high. In fact, if you are concerned about keeping Unlisted videos at least somewhat hard to find, disabling embedding is probably not a bad idea.

Here will be my comments on whether this worked or not. Some YouTube users are reporting that these videos cannot be embedded, which is probably a good thing and an intended feature. I just don't want to make a statement about it in the Help Forum without checking things out.

There's another question about embedding, but I think it refers to links... testing it three ways here:



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcStMHeMvN0


http://www.youtube.com/watch/v=UcStMHeMvN0

Where I am, only that last link is faulty. If it worked in the past I wasn't aware of it.

3 comments:

  1. The video sure does play for me. It appears, then, that "unlisted" doesn't exclude embedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure how I can test the other piece of this. I did go to this video on YouTube while logged into a "non-owner" account at at least managed to copy embed codes -- so at least, in Firefox 3.6.3 (or my installation of it) the code link is accessible.

    Not sure it would prove anything here to paste that code into the post, though, since I'm now logged back into at least the Google account that's associated with both this and the owner account.

    I'm sure that's about as clear as mud. Maybe I can change another video on another channel to Unlisted and try testing with that. Or maybe I can just wait for someone else to offer a clear description of embedding that's not working?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all seem to work for me! This is great, I'm gunna use this on my blog so that I can seperate my subscriber audience on YouTube from my website audience --- all with the same account.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome comments, especially the funny kind.